Friday, February 28, 2014

Ávila, away!

R.I.P. Canon PowerShot
This weekend, I spend a day in Ávila, a city about an 1 1/2 hour outside Salamanca by train. As I walked on its medieval wall, I tripped, and watched in horror as my digital camera careened into the distance. I made sure to look away but I'm pretty sure I heard the sound of it smacking into the ground. Then, as I frantically descended the steps of the wall to retrieve it, I noticed a man ha
d it in his hands and was walking away with it! After chasing him down, I got it back. I probably should have just let him take it because the thing is completely busted. Since then, I have replaced ye olde Canon with another 80 euro Canon camera.




Luckily I managed to retrieve a few photos before my camera gave out. I'll keep this to a photojournalism post, with pictures and detailed captions.

Basilica de San Vicente is an example of Romanesque architecture.
According to legend, St. Vincent was buried here and then the
basilica was built over their tombs. 
There is a 15th century Asian-like canopy that
 stands above the sarcophagus of Saint Vincent, shown on the right.

Me on top of the wall (muralla) of Ávila.

Las murallas de Ávila were completed between
11th and 14th centuries. These are the most complete
fortifications in Spain. There are 88 towers and the wall spans 2,516 meters.
The Cathedral in Ávila was built straight into the
wall and is considered to be the first Gothic Cathedral
 in Spain. It was planned as a Cathedral/fortress.
Another view showing the Cathedral built into the wall.


Plaza Mayor of Ávila.

View of the walls and buildings inside the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment